Since I started living with boys it has been my personal mission to attempt to introduce a little bit of greenery to their meat (I mean; meals). This salad is now known as the ‘MAN SALAD’ and is just about one of the only leaf-based dishes that the boys deem fit to enter their stomachs. I love it – it’s full of nutrients and little blessings for my insides, which slots quite nicely into my quest for healthy goodness. I personally mix and match whatever I have in the fridge and store cupboard, but the items with the * are the ones which the boys say make it MAN SALAD worthy.
- Spinach, kale, lettuce or a combination of the three (make sure to chop or tear the leaves as more enzymes are produced – good stuff!)
- Sliced plum, strawberries, blueberries, grapes or a combination of all of them *
- Baked sweet potato chunks (literally chop sweet potato into little chunks, bake it in the oven for 40 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius and voilà! No added fat, salt or other nasty stuff needed!) *
- Red bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Pine nuts
- Cashew Nuts (raw and unsalted) *
- Desiccated coconut *
- Mixed seeds (I use pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax and whatever else comes in the mixed seed pots I buy) *
- Grated lemon zest *
I don’t ever feel hungry after eating this (in fact; quite the opposite) but if you wanted extra protein or to bulk it out you could add turkey breast, tuna, hard boiled egg or a can of mixed beans (red kidney, black eye, borlotti, baby green lima and pea navy are my choice!)
You can check out more yummy healthy recipes here if you fancy it!