Homebaked pineapple sponge filled with cherry jam and whipped vanilla cream, topped with fresh pineapple and glacé cherries
You can find the recipe right here or I’ve listed it below. Happy baking! If you want to see any other yummy recipes for tasty treats have a little look at some of my other posts or check out my instagram 🙂
- 250g pack butter , melted, plus a knob to grease
- 250g golden caster sugar , plus 2 tbsp
- 1 can pineapple rings
- 3 glacé cherries , halved (we used red dyed ones to keep it classic, but the choice is yours)
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- little icing sugar , for dusting
- 6 tbsp cherry jam (for the filling)
- 250ml double cream (for the filling)
- 1 tbsp caster sugar (for the filling)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (for the filling)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Grease 2 x 20cm round cake tins and line bases and sides with baking parchment. Scatter the 2 tbsp caster sugar in the base of one of the tins.
- Drain the pineapple over a bowl to catch the juices. Measure 100ml of juice into a big mixing bowl.
- Pat dry 3 pineapple rings with kitchen paper and halve horizontally. Arrange in the sugared tin, then add the glacé cherries.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla and eggs to the pineapple juice, and beat with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins – it should be runny enough to pour over the pineapple to cover.
- Bake for 30 mins or until a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean.
- After taking the cakes out of the oven, leave them in the tins for 5 mins then turn them out onto a wire rack (pineapple-side up), peel off the parchment and cool.
- Spread the jam over the cooled sponge without the pineapple.
- Whisk the cream, sugar and vanilla until thick, then spoon over the jam.
- Gently sit the pineapple sponge on top, and dust with a little icing sugar.