Super Yummy Gluten Free Vegan Baked Fruit Cheesecake
After embarking on my quest for healthy goodness I have been determined to find yummy desserts. This. Is, SO. GOOOOOOD! My lovely friend Jake introduced me to this when he made it for me last week and I’ve been raving about it since – I even baked it for my housemates a couple of days ago 🙂
Although the original recipe is not vegan, after a few tweaks to replace the dairy and eggs (see the version below) it was super simple to make and came out pretty darn well if I say so myself! If you’re unsure of where to buy the gluten free / vegan ingredients you can click on them to be taken to where I sourced them from.
For the biscuit base
- 100g gluten free self raising flour
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 100g cold unsalted butter (substitute for 100g soya spread)
For the cheesecake filling
- 220g cream cheese (substitute for 220g dairy free cream cheese)
- 112g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs (substitute for 2 tsp gluten free natural egg replacer mix and 4 tbs water)
- 15g cornflour
- a few drops vanilla extract
- 50g fruit of choice (raspberries all the way for me although this recipe is definitely getting tested with lemon zest next time I bake it)
- Preheat the oven to 180°c / 350°f / gas mark 4.
- Grease an 8in / 20cm round spring form cake tin (you only need a shallow one) or flan ring
- Stir together the gluten free flour, desiccated coconut, ground almonds, caster sugar and gluten free baking powder.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs, then mix to a dough.
- Press into the greased tin then place on a flat baking tray and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
- (You can use this for the base or for a richer base – melt 50g unsalted butter (or soya spread), stir in the cooked biscuit and press back into the cake tin and place into the fridge to set.)
- Prepare your fruit and place on the bottom of the cooked tart base.
- To prepare the cheesecake filling beat the cream cheese to soften.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Pour over the fruit and bake in the oven for 25 minutes until firm.
- Leave to cool then store in the fridge until required. This will also freeze very well.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the edge to loosen the ring and take off